Generally speaking, when we breathe in our abdomen should expand as our diaphragm moves downward. Here is a level 1 exercise that is often prescribed to those that have a faulty respiratory pattern.
- Begin by lying on your back
- Place one hand on your abdomen over your belly button and one hand on your upper chest
- Breathe in through your nose allowing your abdomen to expand with very little movement coming at the upper chest.
- Exhale through your mouth slowly (exhale should take twice as long as inhale)
If you have trouble performing this, you can try one or both of these to help facilitate the movement.
- Place a hardcover book between your hand and abdomen to activate diaphragm.
- Squeeze a pillow between your knees to activate the pelvic floor