Labor Day may be the unofficial end of summer, but that doesn’t have to dampen your celebration. Your local Hy-Vee registered dietitian has some tips for including healthy dishes at your next cookout. And check out the sweet and spicy Chipotle Turkey Sliders that are so good they just might make you forget you’re saying goodbye to summer!
Thank you to our local Hy-Vee dietitian Ashley Danielson, RDN, LD for this post! To learn more about Ashley, check out this post HERE!
Full recipe at the bottom of the page.
Keep It Lean
Ground turkey is an excellent source of lean protein and a healthy alternative to ground beef. Turkey burgers can dry out if overcooked. Adding chopped onions to the ground meat helps keep the burger moist. The best way to test doneness is to use a meat thermometer to make sure you’re cooking the burgers to 165°. Sliders are meant to be smaller than typical burgers, with just 2 ounces of meat per patty. They’re a great dish to serve to help with portion control.
Slather on the Slaw & Pile on the Pineapple
Think about those toppings! Adding coleslaw to these sliders is a great way to sneak in some veggies. Besides adding fiber, the slaw adds interesting flavor and texture. Plus pineapple is an excellent source of vitamin C, which helps improve absorption of the iron from the turkey. Smell the bottom of a pineapple when selecting the fruit to help check on ripeness. Ripe pineapple will typically smell slightly sweet on the bottom.
Go with the Whole Grain
Whole-wheat buns provide more fiber than refined. The daily fiber recommendation is 38 grams for men and 25 grams for women. Dietary fiber helps reduce levels of cholesterol in the blood and may lower the risk of heart disease. For a lower-carb option, serve these sliders without the top bun or skip the bun entirely.
Throw some fruit on the grill for a refreshing dessert. Pair raw veggies with a variety of dips, such as hummus, salsa and guacamole.
Enjoy this delicious healthy recipe to wrap up your summertime celebrations!
Chipotle Turkey Sliders
All you need:
- 1 (8.6 oz) pkg sweet apple coleslaw kit
- ½ cup chopped Hy-Vee Short Cuts pineapple
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
- ¼ cup finely chopped green onions
- 2 tsp chipotle seasoning
- 1/8 tsp Hy-Vee cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp Gustare Vita olive oil
- 4 (0.75-oz each) slices Hy-Vee provolone cheese, halved
- 4 slices Hy-Vee center-cut bacon, cut in half lengthwise and crisp-cooked
- 8 Hy-Vee whole-wheat slider buns, split
All you do:
- Assemble coleslaw according to package directions. Fold in chopped pineapple; set aside.
- Combine ground turkey, chopped green onions, chipotle seasoning and cayenne pepper in a large bowl. Divide mixture into 8 (2-oz. each) patties.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add patties and cook for 7 to 10 minutes or until browned and cooked through (165 degrees), turning once. Top with cheese.
- To serve, place burgers on bun bottoms, add bacon slices. Top with coleslaw mixture and bun tops.
Recipe source: www.hy-vee.com
The information is not intended as medical advice. Please consult a medical professional for individual advice.
Social tagging: communityhealth > hyvee > recipes