5 Reasons to Try Smart Chicken Bone Broth
Bone broth has become a staple in the health-food category for a number of reasons. Bones are full of vitamins and minerals such as calcium, phosphorous and magnesium. Bones also contain the most abundant form of protein in the body called collagen. To make a bone broth, simply add animal bones to a pot of boiling water and simmer them for a length of time to allow as many nutrients as possible to seep into the water. When collagen is boiled it becomes gelatin, containing essential amino acids that provide building blocks for more collagen production in the body and support for maintaining muscle mass. By drinking the protein-filled gelatin in bone broth, consumers find that it helps with gut health and joint pain for starters, and may also address other ailments.
It is important to consider the quality of the animal bones being used to make bone broth. I was elated to try bone broth made by the trusted brand Smart Chicken. Here are five reasons to try Smart Chicken bone broth, the Hy-Vee dietitians’ pick of the month.
1. The only chicken bone broth made from pure air-chilled chickens. Made from free-range chickens fed an organic, non-GMO diet. Smart Chicken takes no short cuts to provide high-quality chicken, from quality feed to a free-range environment.
2. Contains 10 grams of protein per serving. This is equivalent to about 1.5 ounces of meat. A perfect addition to any meal plan, providing protein for collagen development to support tissues and joints in the body.
3. Slow-simmered with organic ingredients. The process and ingredients matter when it comes to choosing what to feed your body.
4. No preservatives or powders — only fresh vegetables are used for additional seasoning in the broth. Fresh is simply the best.
5. Use in recipes and cooking as a replacement for water or stock to boost nutrition and add flavor. Give your recipes a nutritious boost by using bone broth in place of water.
Enjoy the nutrition benefits of incorporating Smart Chicken bone broth into your recipes or by supplementing your cup of joe with a steaming cup of savory bone broth. Could drinking 1 cup of Smart Chicken bone broth each day be the beginning of improving your nutrition habits?
Reach out to your Hy-Vee dietitian to learn about classes and programs available. This month we’re offering free biometric screenings at participating locations across eight states. Our class offering this month is Freezer Friendly Family Meals. Go to hy-vee.com/health to find more details and take the steps to sign up. We’re here to help make your life easier, healthier and happier.
The information is not intended as medical advice. Please consult a medical professional for individual advice.