Mother’s Day is an opportunity to show Mom appreciation for all that she does. Whether it’s making sure the kids get breakfast before they head off to school while simultaneously packing school lunches, or coming home and making dinner after work, moms spend many waking hours in the kitchen. Giving mom some time away from the kitchen is one of the best gifts you can give. Planning a few simple, healthy and delicious recipes is sure to satisfy her hunger and fill her heart.
When choosing recipes to prepare for your Mother’s Day meal, be sure to keep her tastes and preferences in mind. This is especially important if the kids are helping, as their suggestions may lean toward food they prefer, regardless of Mom’s preference. Getting the kids involved, however, is a great way for everyone in the family to show Mom their love.
Whatever you serve Mom, make sure that the meal is balanced with protein, whole grains and fresh, colorful produce. Incorporating a variety of colors, textures and flavors into a recipe helps ensure your meal is delicious, balanced and sophisticated.
Let’s get in the kitchen and show Mom our love!
PB&J Chia Pudding
All you need:
2/3 cup vanilla-flavored coconut milk
2/3 cup Hy-Vee plain Greek yogurt
1½ tbsp Hy-Vee Select 100% pure maple syrup (may substitute honey, if desired)
3 tbsp Hy-Vee chia seeds
3 tbsp creamy peanut butter, divided
¼ cup sugar-free jelly, divided
1/3 cup Hy-Vee vanilla almond granola, divided
2/3 cup fresh blueberries, divided
2 tbsp pepitas, divided
2 tbsp Hy-Vee drained cranberries, divided
All you do:
- Combine coconut milk, yogurt, maple syrup and chia seeds in a medium bowl. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Spoon half of the chia mixture into each of two 16 oz. glasses. Layer each with peanut butter, jelly, granola, blueberries, pepitas and dried cranberries.
- Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
Recipe source: https://www.hy-vee.com/recipes-ideas/recipes/pb-and-j-chia-pudding
Berry Crepe Cake
All you need:
1 (16 oz.) container Hy-Vee light frozen whipped topping, thawed
¾ cup Hy-Vee fat-free vanilla Greek yogurt
2 (5 oz each) pkgs premade crepes, about 20
½ cup jarred lemon curd
1 (1-lb) pkg Hy-Vee Short Cuts triple-berry blend
Hy-Vee semisweet chocolate chips, melted, for garnish (optional)
All you do:
- In a large bowl, mix together whipped topping and Greek yogurt until well combined; set aside.
- Place 1 crepe on a large serving plate. Top with a small amount of yogurt mixture. Top with another crepe.
- Fill the remaining layers with yogurt mixture, topping with crepes, except for layers 4, 8, 12 and 16. On these layers, omit the yogurt filling and fill with 2 tablespoons of lemon curd.
- Once the last crepe has been added, spread a thin layer of the yogurt mixture on top of the cake. Mound with triple-berry blend and drizzle with melted chocolate, if using. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Recipe source: Hy-Vee dietitians
The information is not intended as medical advice. Please consult a medical professional for individual advice.
For More Information Contact:
Ashley Danielson, RDN, LD